Post #1: In an Ideal World

Alas! I am one of the last to set this space up.

Things I want to do:
1. Teach students how to create multimodel products
2. Podcast in an efficient way
3. Learn about the actual technology that is available to us
4. Engage students in authentic writing
5. Develop a unit that requires students to collaborate online
6. Find another teacher in an Edina school and create some type of collaborative student project

I do not want to sound pessimistic, but our media center has been closed for the first two weeks of school because staff hours were cut, and the staff has had no time to get the center ready. We have two labs for the entire school, and they are already booked for the first quarter. I have to race up to the center as soon I hear that new sign out sheets are out.

I fear that our media experts (who are GREAT!) are already overwhelmed with basic maintenance of school equipment; I think they would love to help do the things listed above but finding the time to is an obstacle. I hope this class can give me some confidence in doing these things on my own.

I work with kids who I think would benefit most from using technology. However, MANY of these students only have access to the Internet at school. I definitely believe that "students are often not engaged in their writing in school, particularly because they perceive little value or purpose in...writing five paragraph essays..." (Beach, 5). I think that creating projects that involve digital literacy, and linking them to Edline would provide some authenticity. I would also love to publish student writing on the District's site.

However, I am going to go to the lab tomorrow, search for time, and make a commitment to get my kids into the lab for a new project.Perhaps I will try podcasting again.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Elizabeth, that digital writing projects will provide my students with more authentic assessment, and for that reason, I too am excited. And like you, I need to know how to do more myself, so that I can rely less on the already overworked tech people in my school!

    ReplyDelete