Blog #3: Resources

Generally when I look for resources I go to the Edina media center website and log on to the databases provided by the school. Sometimes you need passwords, but you can pick them up at the media center. This is also where I direct my kids to go. I generally use proquest or gale. For example, this week I have used those two resources to find articles to accompany our reading of The Things they Carried. I am also using them to find an article on censorship and Catcher in the Rye.

I really only try to have kids research with the media center sites because it saves me a lot of headaches.

Hmm....I am still trying to figure out how to do my mixed genre retelling of one of the stories in TTTC. To be honest, I just have not had the time. I am going to do my project for this class by creating a wiki myself about one of the stories.

I find this topic kind of dull, but it is necessary to have. I remember when Wikipedia first came out, and we were all horrified by it, and now, well, we let kids use it with restrictions.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    I agree with you - using Edina media center databases gives the teacher a lot less headache. I also like to use Elementary schools' media centers (Concord has a really great media center page). It helps to provide students with sites at different reading levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    It is interesting how teachers have warmed up to Wikipedia! I like to point out to students that the topic most edited on Wikipedia is evolution! I think it is a good place to start researching if you have no idea about your topic. It is a good place to get other terms to search with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that you are using THE THINGS THEY CARRIED with EHS students! It is very powerful and does allow for rich discussion.

    Since I am reading and writing a response to you after our NING intro, I am wondering how you would ever find the time to have the students become 'Norman' (for example) and play the roles of those around him and their responses to his return and then suicide. Are your high school students so media and game savvy that they could pull something like that off? In the absence of digital language arts classes, how feasible/necessary would such a roleplay/game be?
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I hope that you enjoyed the reading on multigenre that we did for this week. We'll be doing some more with multigenre this week in class.

    I look forward to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete