Multi Genre

So I read about blogging, but what I really want to share is an idea I have. I am teaching The Things They Carried which is a collection of basically short stories about the war. What I'd like to do is have the kids, in groups of three, create some kind of digital product in which they take one story and tell it in six different ways. For example, how would the story of Norman Bowker who hangs himself after the war be written in a newspaper? How would it be written in a poem or song? How would it be written in an analysis? An obituary? What would be a visual way his story would be told? I want the kids to create a website that other students would then visit and link to these examples.

I really don't know what digital form would work best. Ideas?
I think a blog is to long and not set up for this purpose. A Wiki? A web page? This is what I'd really like to do (the web page) but I have no clue how to set one up.

I am also really feeling like conventions (grammar and spelling) need to be taught. I was getting frustrated when peopl were saying that kids should not get hung up on punctuation and the such. However, I think the best writers are those who manipulate the punctuation and the sentence structure.

Thoughts?

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment